Welcome at the website of the research group of Arabic
The research group of Arabic is part of the Leuven Language Institute.
The scientific activities of the research group are in three domains:
- Arabic teaching methods and their improvement
- Arabic linguistics research
- Providing services pertaining to Arabic language use and acquisition
The teaching of Arabic
Arabic teaching is evaluated permanently and improved where possible. The last realization in the field is the publication of a new teaching method for Standard Arabic called la mafarr. The project and development of this work fits in a long tradition in the development of teaching aids and courseware for Arabic both for dialects and standard language and both in the field of grammar and lexicography.
Parallel to printed educational means, the Institute has been working on an electronic system of language education.
The scientific research in Arabic Linguistics at the ILT focuses on the following axes:
- Corpus based lexicography including the development of electronic databases and devices
- Arabic corpus linguistics
- Natural Language Processing including the tagging of Arabic corpora
- Corpus based grammatical investigations including dialects
- Development of courseware for the study of Arabic language and evaluation of courseware
- Development of electronic courseware
- Language, culture and migration